Two days ago I gave my husband quite a scare by telling him to call the advice nurse. He will tell you, I never complain about not feeling well (he tells everyone about the smile on my face all through childbirth-and I had a 10lb baby!) I was having stomach pains far greater than anything ever experienced before (and that includes labor pains). After speaking with a RN and her with a doctor, we called my sister-in-law to come over to stay with the baby and we hit the road for the emergency room. At 7:30am on a Sunday morning, we were the only ones in the department. After the ER doctor came to ask me questions and poked around my belly, it was pretty certain...I was having an appendicitis. My husband is the only person close to me that has gone through this (at the age of 12, poor little guy!) so I was glad to have him right by my side. The surgery took about an hour and about 6 hours later I was discharged to go home, about 12 hours total. Here I am (was totally unaware my husband took this photo) sitting up, drinking juice, and proveing to the nurses that I'm okay to be sent home. They made me stay till dinner. Yum.
The appendectomy was laparoscopic (video monitor), which means only three tiny incisions are needed BUT (and this is a huge *but* because of what I go through later) the surgeon needs to pump the stomach full of gas in order to have some working/viewing room. This gas sits around in your stomach even after the surgery is finished. I was told that the side effects from the gas could be felt in your neck and shoulder muscles.
That night, after I was discharged, was so hard. Every time the pain medication wore off I woke up and had the worst pains shoot from my stomach all the way up to my neck and shoulders. Way worse then the stomach pains before, but maybe it was because happening in the present (and I had forgotten about the earlier pains). The next morning I was still taking pain meds every 4 hours and trying to rest. Only this time my chest hurt and I was having trouble breathing. I also had a high temperature reading. I waited for my husband to return home, who had taken the baby to his daycare, but after another 20 min. I called him to return home (he was out buying groceries). When he got home he looked very panicy. He knocked on our next door neighbors (the husband is a ER nurse) but he didn't answer. Came back and read the discharge papers which stated "if you are having chest pains or shortness of breath, call 911", so thats what we did. The paramedics got to us super fast and began assesment. I was given oxygen flow, and had me connected up to the machines. My husband was asked to try and reach my surgeon, which he did and she said it was best to come bring me in. So off I went in the ambulance back to the hospital.
Monday morning is very different from Sunday morning in the ER. Why does everyone get sick on Monday? I can answer that, stupid question. Anyways, to make a long story short...it turns out the chest pains and trouble breathing were again due to the gas and causing me some pretty bad acid reflux (I remembered feeling this way during pregnancy, but ofcourse didn't run through it as that what was happening to me). Blood tests, X-rays, Urine samples all came back negative and I could finally go home again, this time 4 hours in Emerency is all it took.
Now I'm laying low at home, catching up on my favorite HGTV shows and laughing at my little girl kittie trying to get my attention to let her inside.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I encourage all readers to please leave me a comment letting me know your thoughts. But please try to be constructive with your criticism, I'm sensitive.